07 May 2011

My Nook Color Android Odyssey (Gadget Lust Consummated)

UPDATE 12/13/11: This post is about my thought processes and experiences, but is a bit outdated as any kind of guide. I've prepared more up-to-date and step-by-step materials for those seeking help, starting here: Your Nook Color Options: Root & ROMs END UPDATE

Motivated partly by the death of my old iPod and partly by the temptation of Amazon's $114 ad-supported Kindle, I started poking around the internet last month looking to fill the big ol' gap in my e-cology between my phone and my PC. It's the first time since my MSI Wind was stolen last summer that I've had the discretionary funds to even consider doing so.

My experience with the netbook had really sold me on e-books, despite it being a less than ideal device for reading them. I considered going that route again, but a netbook wouldn't be much of a portable music solution, and I didn't have the money for a new one, anyway, which would leave me with all the uncertainties of buying used electronics via craigslist or ebay. With ebooks in mind, I wandered over tohttp://www.mobileread.com/forums/ which is probably where the idea of the Barnes & Noble Nook Color(NC hereafter) got planted in my mind. It was more money than I wanted to spend, but the more I looked at it, the more it started to look like the best value. Out-of-the-box, it's not much more than an e-reader. Yes, it has particularly good tools for children's books and magazines, and it does have an on-board browser, mv4 video player, and, as of recently, a limited Android apps market. The real value, though, is that it has the hardware to do A LOT more, a modding community taking advantage of that hardware, and a nigh-unbrickable configuration.

I gave in to temptation about two days after they started carrying the NC at Staples, down the street. I had to hit the road immediately after, and so was limited to the stock operating system (then based on Android 2.1, recently upgraded to 2.2) for a few days. It was even more underwhelming than anticipated, given the capabilities I knew were hiding in this machine. Barnes & Noble's customizations of the Android OS seemed to consist entirely of limiting and removing functionality. I can't criticize them too much, because they did make the NC ridiculously open to experimentation and modification (see below), and my little cousins were pretty impressed with the sample kids' book.

Upgrading to Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread--Root, Shmoot

A lot of people opt to root or jailbreak their Apple and Android devices, which is a possibility with the NC, as well. Rooting is not a radical change to the device; it amounts to granting yourself Administrator (in Android terms, Super-user) privileges to change settings such as those preventing you from accessing a competitor's store or loading unauthorized apps. It will void your warranty if discovered, and like Administrator access to a PC, it gets you under the hood where you can really screw things up. You can also run into problems when the manufacturer or service provider releases an over-the-air update, which may just remove your Super-user access, may force a factory reset erasing all your data, or in some cases may brick your device. For some devices, though, rooting is your only option to gain access to apps that Apple or Verizon decided you can't have.

With the NC, there are a lot of options. Like, a lot.

This blog post helped me sort through them:

Given that I shelled out more than was wise at the time for the NC itself, I didn't have the resources to do some of these things that involved multiple MicroSD cards and/or a card reader for my PC. I determined pretty quickly that I was more interested in running a more current and complete version of Android, rather than rooting Barnes & Noble's build. Because the NC boots first from the MicroSD drive, much like PCs are designed to boot first from a floppy or CD drive, it's possible to place an entire operating system on a MicroSD card, without altering the stock OS at all, which seemed like a good place to start. The information in this forum thread, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1005633 pointed me to an inexpensive card known to perform well--some cards, particularly the most expensive "class 10" cards, make terrible boot drives.

I used the instructions in this thread, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1000957 with some help from the "For Dummies" version (with videos!) in this blog post, http://www.anamardoll.com/2011/04/ereader-running-cm7-firmware-on-nook.html to install the latest stable build of CyanogenMod to the card. Often simply called CM7, it's a volunteer-built version of Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread) optimized for various devices.

The blog post has a rather lengthy introduction, so I skipped down to "what you'll need," and only watched the 2nd and part of the 3rd video, using verygreen's steps (from the forum thread) from there.

The only place I ran into trouble was getting google apps installed, which is how you enable the market, and would normally be accomplished with an external card reader. How I got around it is detailed in this thread: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1526550

And now my little reader is quite a capable Android Tablet. With a little more tweaking, I could overclock the CPU and/or install other versions of Android, like the less stable (but still fairly stable) version of Android 3.0 (Honeycomb). As is, I see very rare lag in any app, and run live wallpaper and multiple widgets from my home screen with no trouble. All I have to do to access the stock OS is shut the NC down, pop out the SD card, and turn it back on.

23 comments:

taosaur said...

UPDATE: I've since overclocked the device using one of the kernels from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=925451

Anonymous said...

Hi there friends
I have a nook color, but i have a great problem in dealing with the books and and things like reading word docs with the nook.
i want to download all softwares those make my nook able to read any book or document.
moreover
i want to change my honeybee 1.1 to latest gingerbread, how to do it .
please help me in this regard.

thankyou
drriazahmedkhan@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account
it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you!

However, how could we communicate?

Feel free to surf to my web site ... www.coachhandbagsoutletshop2013.com

Anonymous said...

This article gives clear idea designed for the new viewers of blogging, that really how to
do running a blog.

Here is my web site - トリーバーチ財布

Anonymous said...

Hmm is anyone else experiencing problems with the pictures
on this blog loading? I'm trying to figure out if its a problem on my end or if it's the
blog. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.


My web site ミュウミュウ店舗

Anonymous said...

Good day! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if
you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my comment form?
I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm
having trouble finding one? Thanks a lot!

my page womenforasianmen.com

Anonymous said...

Hello, of course this article is genuinely fastidious
and I have learned lot of things from it regarding blogging.
thanks.

My web-site: miu miu 財布

Anonymous said...

Very rapidly this website will be famous amid all
blogging viewers, due to it's pleasant articles or reviews

my page ... chloe バッグ

Anonymous said...

Hello to every body, it's my first pay a visit of this web site; this blog contains awesome and in fact good material in favor of visitors.

My web-site - http://www.toryburchoutletshopx.com/

Anonymous said...

I'm truly enjoying the design and layout of your site. It's
a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me
to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a developer to create your theme?
Outstanding work!

Visit my blog ... http://biccywiki.org/tiki-index.php?page=UserPagedarlawinnacfoqvkucmf

Anonymous said...

I do not drop a lot of comments, however i did some searching and wound up here
"My Nook Color Android Odyssey (Gadget Lust Consummated)".

And I do have 2 questions for you if it's allright. Is it simply me or does it look as if like some of these comments look like they are coming from brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are writing on additional online social sites, I would like to follow anything fresh you have to post. Could you make a list of every one of all your shared sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

Have a look at my site: ミュウミュウアウトレット

Anonymous said...

Excellent article. I'm experiencing a few of these issues as well..

Feel free to surf to my web site :: トリーバーチ財布

Anonymous said...

This piece of writing offers clear idea for the
new viewers of blogging, that really how to do running a blog.


my web blog; http://createmycircle.com/

Anonymous said...

Good day! I could have sworn I've been to this site before but after browsing through a few of the articles I realized it's
new to me. Regardless, I'm certainly delighted I came across it and I'll be
book-marking it and checking back frequently!

Also visit my weblog ... ミュウミュウ財布

Anonymous said...

This design is steller! You most certainly know how
to keep a reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost.
..HaHa!) Excellent job. I really enjoyed what you
had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
Too cool!

Look into my homepage - トリーバーチ靴

Anonymous said...

magnificent issues altogether, you just gained a brand new reader.
What could you suggest about your publish that you simply
made some days ago? Any sure?

My webpage; クロエ財布

Anonymous said...

Hi! I could have sworn I've been to this blog before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it's new to me.
Anyhow, I'm definitely glad I found it and I'll be book-marking and
checking back frequently!

Feel free to surf to my web site クロエ店舗

Anonymous said...

I'm gone to tell my little brother, that he should also visit this weblog on regular basis to take updated from most recent information.

my webpage ... トリーバーチバッグ

Anonymous said...

This information is invaluable. When can I find out more?


my website ... miu miu 財布

Anonymous said...

Hello! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be ok. I'm
definitely enjoying your blog and look forward to new updates.



Feel free to visit my web blog: miu miu 財布

Anonymous said...

What's up to every body, it's my first pay a visit
of this weblog; this blog carries awesome and actually good
data designed for visitors.

Here is my web blog ... トリーバーチ靴

Anonymous said...

Outstanding post however I was wanting to know if you could write
a litte more on this subject? I'd be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Cheers!

Feel free to visit my web-site :: トリーバーチ財布

Anonymous said...

Hi, I do think this is a great website. I stumbledupon it ;) I may return
yet again since I bookmarked it. Money and freedom is the best way to change, may you be rich and continue to
help others.

My blog post :: www.virtopia.com