04 January 2012

Selectively migrate Chrome bookmarks with TabCloud

I just wanted to share a simple solution to what I thought would be a chore when I had to do it tonight: setting up a work profile in Chrome on my home PC. Late last year, Google made it easier to add multiple user accounts to Chrome, streamlining the first part of the process, but you're still starting from scratch with each new profile. In my case, I had about a dozen bookmarks I wanted to bring along, most as pinned tabs.

The simple solution, which I already had installed, was TabCloud. With the tabs open in my original profile, I saved them to TabCloud, made a new user, installed TabCloud, and restored. From that point, I just closed the window with the pinned tabs last, so that they'd be ready to go next time I need them. You could go from tab to tab clicking stars, too, to save everything as bookmarks, though it's all backed up in TabCloud, anyway.

UPDATE 1/8/12: I have since found it more trouble than it's worth to use a separate profile this way, and I'm just using the saved tab configuration in TabCloud as my work 'profile,' without changing Chrome users. YMMV.

No comments: